Minors Can Broaden Your Academic Experience
Interactive Media is the process of creating digital media that is an effective, memorable, and rewarding user experience. Like most traditional design disciplines, Interactive Media is concerned with the relationship of form and function, but unlike other disciplines, Interactive Designers explore the way in which behaviors connect people through the products they use.
Most preconceived notions about design include an assumption that design concerns itself primarily with how it looks. While there is nothing wrong with designing for appealing aesthetics, design can be more than (just) that. Whether or not something looks good to use doesn’t necessarily have an impact on whether it makes the user feel socially accountable. For an Interactive Designer, design has a tangible impact on measurable, instrumental outcomes.
Potential Careers: Art director, concept artist, creative director, environmental artist, experience designer, Flash developer, UI/UX designer, social media developer, instructional designer, interaction designer, interactive designer/developer, interactive installation artist, interface designer, mobile game/app designer, mobile game/app developer, online games developer/designer, technical artist, Web designer and Web developer.
For details about the curriculum, the complete course listing, specific program requirements and expected learning outcomes please refer to the Interactive Media & Web Development minor program in our College Catalog.
Total credit requirements: 18 credits
This minor was created for School of Design Majors. Students must complete six courses, including four required interactive media courses and two electives, for a total of 18 credits for the Interactive Media Minor.
Required Courses: (12 credits)
- IM 101 – Contemporary Front End Application Design and Implementation 3 credits
- IM 201 – Programming Concepts 3 credits
- IM 202 – Interactive Web Design 3 credits
- IM 302 – UI/UX: Responsive Design 3 credits
Electives: (6 credits)
Choose two (2) of the following:
- GD 113 – Digital Trio 3 credits
- GD 215 – Introduction to Web Design 3 credits
- IM 102 – Interaction Design 3 credits
- IM 103 – Information Architecture 3 credits
- GD 203 – Typography Studio I 3 credits
- GD 210 – Computer Imaging Techniques 3 credits
- GD 325 – Vector Graphics 3 credits
- GD 331 – Interactive Media 3 credits
- IM 301 – History of Interactive Media 3 credits
- GD 337 – Digital Photography 3 credits
- IM 303 – Interactive Scripting 3 credits
- IM 304 – Mobile Applications 3 credits
- GD 327 – Motion Graphics 3 credits
- IM 405 – Special Topics 3 credits
- IM 445 – Advanced Interactive Techniques 3 credits
As well-respected in their industries as they are in the classroom, Mount Ida’s instructors will expand your practical knowledge, challenge your thinking, and empower you to reach your potential.
The School of Design
Merge technical skills with creative thinking to solve modern design challenges in web, animation, photography, game art, interior architecture + design, fashion, graphic design and related visual arts.