» Skip Navigation
Mount Ida in the News, News Archive, Office of the President

Mount Ida College Ranks 26th in 2018 U.S. News & World Report
Best Regional Colleges, North

September 12, 2017

Mount Ida College continues to rise in the ranks of US News and World Report Best Regional Colleges, North from 40th to 26th in four years.

“This is an extraordinary achievement for our entire educational community” commented Barry Brown, President of Mount Ida College. “It speaks to the progress that Mount Ida has made, evolving from a small liberal arts college into a successful model of quality career-focused education and experiential learning.

U.S. News & World Report bases its rankings on the beliefs that students and families should have as much information as possible about the comparative merits of the educational programs at America’s colleges and universities.

The rankings of schools and colleges against peer institutions is based on a formula that uses objective measures of academic quality, such as graduation rates, faculty information and admissions data. This data accounts for 77.5 percent of the measure. The remaining 22.5 percent is based on academic reputation, determined by a peer assessment from top academics at colleges in the National Universities and National Liberal Arts Colleges categories. Ratings from high school counselors are also factored in.

The peer assessment portion of the survey asks the president, provost and dean of admissions at each school to rate the quality of the academic programs at schools in the same ranking category, including their own.

“We are gratified by our steadily increasing enrollment, retention and career placement following graduation that is double the national average, said Brown. We are grateful, as well, for the increasing regard in which we are held by our peers for our rigorous academic standards and exceptional learning to prepare our students for success in their lives and careers.”