» Skip Navigation
Student Achievement

Marketing & management team works in tandem with designers

Fashion Futures 2017, the all student-produced runway show takes weeks of preparation and behind-the-scenes work to pull off. Marina Porl, a Fashion Industry Marketing and Management major at Mount Ida College is working hard on the event team to assure the house is packed and the event goes off without a hitch.

Each day Porl brings her enthusiasm for fashion combined with unique hands-on experience and is looking forward to making the show the best yet.

“I’ve always loved fashion,” says Marina, who grew up in White River Junction, Vermont. “I started out sewing but quickly knew that it was the field of marketing that intrigued me.”

When she got to Mount Ida, she connected to Professors Kathleen Potter and Leo Archambault who not only taught her the ropes, but helped arrange for an internship at Duchess Boutique, a small fashion and Accessories store in Newton Centre.

“I really enjoy the boutique atmosphere,” says Marina. “I can connect with each customer, many of whom return each week to find out what they want and to help them select the perfect outfit and Accessories.” One of the best parts, she adds is “learning what it takes to run a successful boutique from the buying, to the planning, to the window displays and dressing the mannequins.”

This summer she’ll be headed to Maine, where her grandmother, with whom she and her sister will live, is relocating. “There are a lot of possibilities in the Portland and Freeport areas for me to pursue.” With a love of the outdoors, LL Bean and so many fashion boutiques and outlet stores, the choices are exciting.

When she returns for her senior year, with more professional experience and the marketing of the Fashion Futures under her belt, she says she’s ready to tackle whatever comes her way. Someday, she says she would like to own a boutique, but for now, it’s about the learning.